Empower your youth with the confidence and skills to work out safely and effectively on the exercise equipment at the Y. Enroll them in one of our Youth Fitness programs today!
What You'll Learn
- Learn strength training and aerobic exercise techniques
- Learn how to develop a workout
- Learn how to use recommended age-appropriate equipment
- Learn character values of the Y and fitness room etiquette
- Learn components of a well-rounded, safe workout (warm-up, strength/cardio, cool-down, flexibility)
Youth Cardio Orientation
This orientation is for ages 9-13 and will teach proper warm-up, cool-down, stretching, and using the cardio machines upstairs.
Once the training is complete, a Record of Completion is recorded in the youth's account, and they can work out upstairs with their parents until age 14. Register for Youth Cardio at:
Youth Strength Training Session
This appointment for ages 12-13 teaches how to use the selectorized strength equipment upstairs.
Once the training is complete, a Record of Completion is recorded in the youth's account, and they can work out upstairs with their parents until age 14, when they can work out on their own.
Our Personal Trainers have gone through our rigorous hiring standards.
Ask the front desk about meeting a YMCA trainer at your gym!
Browse our fitness classes for all the latest group exercises and more!
Just click the Fitness tab to get started.
- 8–9 years | Use the Cardio equipment on the second floor only upon completion of Cardio Orientation and under the direct supervision of an adult.
- 10–11 years | Use the Cardio equipment on the second floor only upon completion of Cardio Orientation with the accompanying adult or guardian on the same floor.
- 12–13 years | Use any and all equipment on the second floor only upon completion of a Cardio AND a Strength Orientation. This age group can participate in select group exercise classes with guardian (see group exercise class schedule for ages allowed in classes).
- 14 years and above | Use all exercise equipment on all levels and can participate in all group exercise classes.
Trainer, Sherwood YMCA
Iain was awesome when my child was in Youth Cardio Orientation and my child is now confident using the cardio machines!