Bob Hall Starts New Chapter in Life
Bob Hall retired as President and CEO of the YMCA of Columbia-Willamette at the end of 2019. He led our association over the years with our Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service. Staff, volunteers and members across the greater Portland and Vancouver areas are better off in spirit, mind and body because of his leadership. He gave his heart and soul to illuminating the C in this YMCA and other Ys across the nation. And he demonstrated that a YMCA today can be inclusive and at the same time embrace its founding Christian principles.
Reflecting on a Prosperous Journey with the Y
"It has been my honor to serve alongside the most loving and dedicated volunteers and staff in the greater Portland and Vancouver areas. Together we have created opportunities for staff, volunteers and members to grow in spirit, mind and body. We now have programs that address spiritual health, which was not the case when I started.
Our journey has been especially gratifying to me as we have embraced the wonderful Christian heritage and mission of the Young Men’s Christian Association.
Much has changed since the YMCA was birthed in 1844 in London, England and in 1868 when the YMCA was started in Portland, Oregon. However, the Christian mission of the YMCA is still the foundation for the movement and for that I thank God. My wife, Sherry, and I are looking forward to the next chapter in our lives and what God has in store for us."
Career Highlights at the Y
- Helped start the Early Childhood Development emphasis in our association. Today the YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is the largest private not-for-profit provider of licensed Child Care in the State of Oregon.
- Began chaplaincy in our YMCA and empowered staff to initiate faith-based programs to those interested in spiritual development from a Biblical perspective.
- Encouraged other YMCAs around the nation to embrace Christian emphasis in their YMCA. And helped create a movement within the larger Y movement to do just that.
- Substantially improved the fiscal health of our YMCA.
- Built, expanded and improved numerous facilities and programs in Early Childhood Development, Camping, Health and Wellness and Youth Sports.
- Led the donation of a new 160-acre Camp for at-risk youth on Mt. Hood.
- In the last five years, our YMCA has given financial assistance to 25,030 kids and families with a value in services of $9,113,649.
- Our 2019 budget is just under 29 million in revenue. The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is the 22nd largest charity in the Portland.
- On Oct. 27, 2018, at the Oregon Convention Center, over a thousand staff, volunteers and guests celebrated our YMCA’s 150th anniversary in the greater Portland and Vancouver area.
A Trustee team led by former Board Chair, Bill Hebert, and a local consultant and university professor, Jim Steele, led a national search to fill the President and CEO position and in the fall of 2019 hired Tyler Wright. Tyler started at the end of 2019 and Bob supported our organization as President Emeritus through the end of the year.